Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The great wedding cake debacle


The City Cake Company, Mt Eden Village - Overall rating 2 - overpriced and arrogant
Rocket Kitchen, Ponsonby Road, Auckland - Overall rating 5 - beautifully presented cakes.

This blog entry is one of the reasons why I started this blog. It was an experience that I needed to share with other prospective brides looking for a wedding cake.

As you are probably aware, all you need to do is say it is for a wedding and miraculously, the price goes up! Now I'd heard this, but had not experienced it for myself until I went to the City Cake Company in Mt Eden Village.

I wanted to have cup cakes, and had tried a number of different options, and was getting a bit frustrated. I finally decided to go back to the City Cake Company and grudgingly spend $600 for a three tiered cake stand of cupcakes with a small cake on the top. Now, you say, $600 really? Well, they milk it, $65 to hire the stand to put their cakes on, over $100 for the small cake on the top and 60 cupcakes at $6.50 each. The woman serving me had the list of calculations in front of her and there was $30 on the list unaccounted for. I asked what that was for and was told under no uncertain terms "that's just what we do." And it certainly was not up for discussion. So, a 5% addition for the hassle for them or what? They must see every bride coming and just think we will pay anything, and it wasn't like I was being cheap at $600 for it after all! (so that is my little vent about this debacle!)

So what did I end up with? A three tiered Rocket Kitchen Chocolate Whiskey Cake, which was absolutely delicious. I bought ribbon from Eve's pantry and dropped that into the shop prior and got the florist to do a spray of orchids for the top. I then bought gold paper covered chocolate hearts to go around the base. A little DIY and we had a cake that tasted so much better than the cup cakes anyway at less than half the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment